Tuesday, February 15, 2005

An email to past teachers

The image “http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/images/uf.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
So here I am at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. UF
is the third largest University in America, and you certainly notice it.
The 'town'(as the Americans call it) of Gainesville  has a population of
100,000 people. 48,000 of these residents are UF students. As a result,
Gainesville is classified as a 'university town' with students spilling
into streets dominated by 24 hour eateries and shops catering to the
typical college student; tired from late nights of socialising and
studying and in need of a good meal.
This is my first adventure away from home, and I am certainly enjoying
the independence!!! I live in a very spacious apartment with four other
girls, which means that there's always something fun going on. I attend
church at University Lutheran Church on Sunday mornings and at the
Christian Campus House (a non-denominational centre for Christians to
hang out and worship) on Tuesday nights. Between class (Monday,
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday), church, small groups, socialising and
keeping up with what's going on back home, I certaintly have my plate
full.
But, as you know, I like to keep myself busy and challenge myself. I
recently auditioned for an Irish play to be produced by the University
troupe called, 'Dancing at Lughnasa' and was happy to get the part of
Maggie, a witty, playful and caring character. We have only just had our
first read through and the play is to be put on by the 23rd of March, so
we have some intense rehearsing to do.
I am also hoping to transfer to the school of Art and Design 
 at the University of Michigan next semester. In
order to do this, I have three weeks to create a portfolio of 15-20
artworks, which is keeping me up late at night with paint on my hands
and carpet...but I hope and pray that it is all worth it; Michigan has
art subjects (or 'courses' as they call them) that you only dream
about.
At the moment I am taking some fantastic classes; Introduction to
Hebrew Scriptures (so fascinating), Introduction to the New Testament
(also fascinating, but not quite as interesting as the history of Israel
etc), Sociology of Religion (mainly focused on religion in America, but
the class is always interested to hear my Australian opinion and the
differences between our cultures) and Improvisation on Social Issues (my
only theatre subject. This was a joke at first and reminded me of some
bad theatresports rehearsals, but I've been bumped up to a harder class
and am now learning some really cool techniques and improving a lot).
America is nice, but I can't help thinking it is a horribly distorted
version of Australia, and I hope and pray that Australia never goes the
same way as America has gone (though I fear we're getting there slowly).
Our ideals of mateship and comradery are something we certainly take for
granted. I cannot walk down the street without being suffocated by the
stench of Individualism. Although they do not perceive it, I can tell
that fear is rife and it influences every part of their daily lives,
from the bolts on their doors and their unwillingness to give way on the
streets to their anti-bacterials which proclaim 'PROTECTION from....'.
Obviously the effects of September 11 still reverberate in society
today, but some recognise that it has been this way since they can
remember. If you have seen 'Bowling for Columbine' you may remember the
satirical cartoon on the history of fear in America. It's sad to say
that this is actually a fair representation of American culture. Their
main concern is for protecting and sustaining themselves and their
family. It's a dog eat dog world where manners are optional and no one
stops to hear the plight of the beggars on all four corners of the
intersections.

(NOTE: It's now August 29 and I'm reading back over this and realising
how poorly I first perceived America. Please realise that since this point
I have met wonderful, friendly and carefree Americans. I wrote the above
as though it is their fault, but I really feel now that they are victims of
something higher than the individual. For most, they live in blissful
ignorance: 'this is how it is' and so it doesn't affect them, and those who
don't blame the president...so no one is really as upset about the state of
America as I am...I just see Australia very idealistically in comparison,
but perhaps I'm just as ignorant to its faults...and anyway, who cares about
countries...we are citizens of His nation.)
Geographically though, the country is unique. I've only seen four
states so far, but it's amazing how different the scenery is in each
one. 
Anyway, I had best go and run myself around the block (just looking at
the takeaway shops here makes me determined to never succumb to the
American way of 'eat always and exercise never').
I guess I've given a fairly negative description of America. There are
so many things that are wonderful, and the people I know are lovely, it
just makes me realise how wonderful Australia is.
I hope and pray that you are all well.
I'd love to hear about what's going on for you, but I realise I have
emailed some of the busiest people at Trinity, so don't feel obliged to
reply - I just felt the desire to write.
Blessings,
Ellie

No comments: