Anyway. The grass smells the same.
I have a teacher, sorry, Professor (and they say WE'RE like the brits!) who yesterday insinuated that Australia is like another state of America. That'd be right, take our little island (haha little...good one) and claim it as your own. I just kinda laughed...it's okay if they want to claim us, at least they don't hate us like the French? And hey, if we're choosing teams, I pick Canada 'cos apparently they're beautifully passive and oh I don't know, Jamaica, 'cos they're hippies. So they're officially Australian now. New Zealand can come too (since I have officially designated Wellington as my escape city in case we're ever bombed...who's going to bomb New Zealand?).
I've uploaded a few more pics to bugbitten - do keep checking 'cos I'm much quicker with it now because I carry a cable around with my camera so that as soon as I've taken one I can upload it...so click on the newest adventure and go to the last page of photos to see the new photos :)
I have a class now (haha 'class' - it's my favourite - we're going to be working with fourth graders in an elementary (primary) school in Detroit. To 'research' one lesson we drove out to a shop, picked up a stack of fun things like foam, milk bottle lids etc and made stuff for 1/2 an hour when we got back...it was SO fun - just like kindy!). :D Monday we visited Greenfield Elementary (below) which was nice, but I wanna work in a more ghetto school to really have an experience. So today we're visiting Harms. There are a few photos of Greenfield up. I'll take some of Harms today, then I need to decide which school I want to go to. Should be great no matter what.

Love y'all, thanks for leaving comments! I'm a comment junkie! :D
Love Ellie
4 comments:
you call the prof's teacher's in australia? so how do you address them. in the states they're all so obsessed with being called Doctor so-and-so. (and they did go to school for a long time so i guess they deserve it) but when i was at cambridge, we called the teachers by their "christian' names. ie tony, mary, sean, john, and clarissa.
Mmm...Libby, perhaps you have just pointed out that we are more like the Brits then we may like to admit? I have never called a 'professor' by their academic titles. In Australia, we have what we so elegantly refer to as the 'tall poppy syndrome'. Nobody likes a tall poppy (the flower), so we cut them down and make everyone on a level playing field. In the same way, we raise up the short poppies. It would just be weird to refer to a lecturer as "Doctor" or "Professor". Many US students here also try and call our teachers "sir" and "ma'am", but even that is frowned upon. The only person who is called Ma'am is the Queen. Hope you feel enlightened as to our colonialistic ways.
Hey ellie! Saz here! Good luck with your time at elementary school. I know you'll love it!! That's the teacher in my talking, but seriously, you will love it. I'm so jealous, my prac is over now and I feel lost without the little tete's. So have a ball ok! xoxo
Heya Libby! Yeah, I think what Jordan (or Mum? Someone 'anonymous') wrote is totally true. We call tutors and lecturers just that or by their first names. But you're right, after working all those years they deserve their names. I certainly hope people call Mum 'Dr.Lambert' after all the work she's done.
I guess I find it hard to understand because when I teach I'm 'Ellie' because I want to be on the same level as the kids and I perceive a title as being power trippin'...but I'm reading too much into it! haha...
In short, i was quite happy to call my professors that at UF because they wanted it and they had 'earnt' it in earthly terms, but wouldn't want it for myself. Perhaps I'm a closet tall poppy victim. Or perhaps I want all the poppies to be the same height so we can get along?! Haha...don't know. That was a long discourse on the matter.
Post a Comment