In light of the recent 'foiled' terrorist attacks (but largely because I have nothing better to do) I thought I would share my two bobs worth about airports and traveling.
Today an msn.com.au poll asked the question, 'Will the foiled terror attack stop you from flying?'. I, along with 9,774 people answered NO. 2,700 other paranoid Australians wet their pants and clicked YES. Why, my trembling friends? Did the recent car crash on the road to Victor Harbour make you sell your car? Have you stayed away from the Santos Building in Adelaide since September 11? DO YOU LIVE IN A HOLE AND ORDER YOUR GROCERIES ON THE INTERNET?!?!
Last year, whilst traveling, I had horrible travel experiences. I got stuck in my seat on a flight to Australia while the boy next to the aisle slept peacefully for 15 hours, I slept in a freezing train terminal in Toledo, Ohio with a snow storm raging outside and the sensor doors opening and shutting beside my 'bed', I had stomach pains in Heathrow, where I was stuck for 9 hours without food because the exchange rate wasn't worth it, my luggage was lost in Istanbul, I took sleeping tablets that made me semi-comatose but wouldn't put me to sleep, I got stuck between two large men who insisted on using the arm rests on either side of me...the list goes ON.
BUT.
I also sped alongside the Hudson by train in the aftermath of a snowstorm, flew into Sydney at sunrise and saw the buildings illuminated by the morning glow, was gobsmacked at the size of Los Angeles by air, flew over the Alps on a perfect Winter day, sat next to a lady who gave me her snacks and magazines, saw the Eiffel Tower from my window seat, watched the barren Australian outback pass beneath our plane, soared next to clouds that looked like they had exploded vertically and got to hang out with my sister, friends and husband to be in train stations and airport terminals around the world. Just to name a few beautiful experiences.
I know that traveling is worth it.
You take the precautions, you take care of yourself and you pray nothing happens. The issues here are not evil terrorists and fear of flying. They are sin and a fear of death. Think about it. Did sin not exist, there would be no 'terrorists'. If people were not so scared of death they would enjoy what life they have. (They would go rock climbing, too!).
Sometimes I forget, and I think we all do, that what is happening here is a war, not between countries, but one who's been referred to as screwtape, lucifer and satan, among other things. I prefer to call him THE ENEMY. I will not stop flying, because I will not let him win. Our only 'fear'* should be of God, who has the power to cause ultimate death and destruction, but does not. Long live the King ;)
* This is not 'fear' as we know it...as one aptly described it: Fear of God is the acute awareness of the presence of God's power that produces in me a sense of awe and calls forth from me honor, respect and reverence. (www.feargod.net)
Friday, August 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen!
You should send this to the Lutheran to publish or even consider writing some articles.....much more interesting than some of the ones they publish.
Post a Comment