Sunday, September 17, 2006

IS THIS A WEED?


Let's take a poll. IS THIS A WEED? Liz?
Now Jordan says that I'm being a bit pompous calling some flowers weeds, and he has a point...just because they're good at reproducing they shouldn't be called WEEDS. So there's another question; why are some flowers called weeds?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ELLIE, with my limited knowledge of plants, i seem to think that this is a geranium plant and is definatly not a weed. Therefore dont destroy it!!! I will ask Mum to confirm my suspicions when she gets home and will get her to post an answer for you. Anyway, have a great week and let me know about the footy grand final weekend (thats AFL!)Jessie

Rikki said...

Yes this is a geranium also known as a pelargonium. They are not weeds but grow well even if not watered very often.

Nic said...

In my world, a flower can never be a weed. Even when they are! ;)

(Also, I replied to your question in my blog, just not sure if you saw it!)

Liz said...

My opinion is that it is a palergonium - so I agree with Rikki and Kristin!
It could, on the other hand, be a marshmallow plant, in which case it would be a weed, but I think it's too short and bushy for marshmallow, so I'll stick with the former!
Being of the geranium family, it needs trimming AFTER flowering.
Good luck

Rachael said...

Hee hee... is it a weed... even I knew that one! Rachy.

Anonymous said...

In the 'weed' argument's defence, this plant is BIG. Not only is the so-called 'geranium' big, but it has only a few flowers. If you cut the flowers off, I am convinced it would look like a pumpkin plant. As it appears not to be horticulturally correct to call this overgrown bush a 'weed', I must conclude that it is the missing link between roses and pumpkins. I propose the Latin name, ‘Rosiatus Pumkiniturious’.

Liz said...

Geraniums/palergoniums can grow quite large if unattended!