Thursday, September 14, 2006

the last post

Hello Bloggers,

Apparently my last blog seemed a little...boring? Some have suggested it gave the impression I am bored or unhappy. Far from it.

I welcome the chug chug chug we've created here. This is us, married, and in our married routine. The questions I'd always wondered about are finally being answered...what will it be like to not go 'home' at the end of the night? Will I know how to cook? Where will we live? How do you decide who cooks each night? Not only are my past daydreams materializing in a new realistic way, but I am now in a routine, something I haven't had since I lived in Michigan - and even then it was only temporary.
From the time I left the states to the time we arrived in Adelaide I have had no set 'routine'. After months of moving around Europe, Turkey and Thailand in various hostels and hotels I came home to a more permanent living arrangement, but even that was temporary since I was set to move out three months later. Then we were wedding planning, which is something you only do once...and only for three months (for us) and then we were packing to move.
At last we've finally started our life together. Since we never dated this is a time for us to figure out how we work together, how our metaphorical Whittaker Mobile runs every day.
My last post was supposed to be an appreciation of the routine that is 'our life'. I am very happy here. I even enjoy cooking ;) Though baking I suck at. I discovered there's a difference. Baked goods by Ellie are not good.

I've also discovered that if you leave your washing out on the line for too many days it goes hard. Well, not soft. I'm also starting to realise that the washing never stops? Like I guess I thought that once I did a load of washing or dishes I wouldn've have to think about washing for a while. But just a few hours later there are more clothes in the laundry basket and more dishes in the sink? I know that sounds really naive, but it's only just dawning on me; that washing basket will never be eternally empty...the sink will never be Pine-O-Clean sparkly for more than a few hours!!?!?!

I'm finally learning to appreciate everything Mum and Dad have done for me :) Thanks Mum and Dad!!!

In other news, I didn't get the job I applied for at Minda (a community for people with disabilities) as a Support Arts Worker, but I am surprisingly un-disappointed about it. I guess I prayed that God would intervene if the job would've been too much, and perhaps it would have. I am also un-disappointed because when I asked if I could do some volunteer work the lady piped up excitedly about how they wanted me to run some workshops in the future and would love to have me as a volunteer and said that the main reason I didn't get the job was because of my lack of experience in working with people with a disability so volunteering would be good for my future job prospects.
The Tutti Arts (the group of artists with a disability) have workshops and rehearsals in art, drama and music taught by industry professionals in each field. They are encouraged as artists and respected as professionals. Each year the Tutti Arts perform in a number of different shows and events. I would love to be a part of a company putting the arts to such good use. Volunteering is perfect for me as I can work as many or as few hours as I want and get good experience for future job applications in the area. Volunteering is un-perfect for us however, since the pennies are the fuel for the Whittaker Mobile. I'll keep looking for jobs and volunteer until I no longer have time to do so. I'm excited about it all.

Finally (thanks so much for keeping up with me!) - congratulations firstly to Janice and Jono (see the comments on the last post); we are thrilled for you and would love it if you can keep us updated, though I'm sure Nicole will! And a final belated congratulations to BROOKE AND MIKE!!! THEY'RE GETTING MARRIED! (I didn't want to post it when I found out, so that they had a chance to tell everyone personally). I am ridiculously excited for you both and can't wait to hear how it's all going. :D :D :D Woohoo! Brooke can start planning at last!

For now friends I must go turn the irrigation off. A woman of so many talents.

His,

Ellie

xoxo

1 comment:

Annie Lambert said...

We miss you too Ellie....unfortunately your clothes in the washing basket and dishes in the sink have been replaced with others.......BUT we won't have Anisia's for much longer either, and then she'll be learning your life's lessons too. YAY we are VERY excited about Brooke and Mike also.......hope we get an invite!