Monday, October 23, 2006

A Very Sad Day

Editor's Note: FALSE ALARM. Whislt US officials are confiscating Vegemite at airports for its folate content it is NOT a banned substance. We can all breathe a sigh of relief. :D I thought it quite extreme of them, considering I saw a weetbix ad last night (the one with Brett Lee) ADVERTISING its folate content as a reason TO buy the stuff! Funny. Everyone just relax now.

This morning on the radio I heard some horrible news that spun me into shock far greater than Steve Irwin's death...

Vegemite is now banned in the United States of America.

Now this may be speculation, since I've only found one article on the matter, other than the news report BUT even the PROSPECT of it being banned deeply saddens me. I LIVED on vegemite last year. It was my bit of home. I made Mum send more as soon as I was running low...

Apparently it is being banned for containing folate. Bags are being searched at the airports and Mum, you wouldn't be able to send it to me :(

I could go on and on.

I'm just so glad I went on exchange last year.

Remember this day. A moment's silence for a nation who will never discover the true excellency of VEGEMITE.

P.S. In a reverse case of imported goods, the other night we (mainly Jordan) made PUMPKIN PIE!!! PUMPKIN PIE! Oh how I missed it... And a newsflash: Starbucks in Australia have finally caught onto Pumpkin flavoured drinks! Go try one before you write it off! (Jordan bought us one yesterday, without the coffee...mmmmmmm - SO good).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it not OK that my first reaction was a laugh? The US is so weird. I don't even know what folate is, but of all the things to ban....

krissiandmatt said...

I love the pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. And their pumpkin bread is pretty yummy too.

By the way, I'm back. And married!

Rikki said...

Vegemite not black-banned
Australians travelling to the US can breathe easy. So can the 100,000 or so Australian expatriates living in America. The US Government today dismissed media reports it had banned Vegemite. Media reports at the weekend claimed American border officials were confiscating Vegemite from Australians as they entered the US. But the FDA, charged with policing America's food supply, has not issued an "import alert" to border officials to halt the import of Vegemite. A spokesman said the FDA was surprised by the media reports. The controversy centres on folate, an ingredient in Vegemite. Under US regulations, folate can be added only to breads and cereals. "In and of itself, it's not a violation. If they're adding folate to it, boosting it up, technically it would be a violation,'' the spokesman said. "I don't think we intend to target Vegemite simply because of that."--AAP

krissiandmatt said...

Great pics on your mum's blog! I love checking that thing .. she always has lots of pictures. You and Jordan are looking good, as usual. :)

Annie Lambert said...

Hello Ellie.....long live Vegemite!