On Tuesday a colleague at work offered me his members area Ashes ticket. I wandered down at lunch time and checked it out. The place some how has a life of its own - brought to life by the spirited (in more ways than one) crowd and historic background. With a statue of the Great Don out front (to be differentiated from 'Don's Balls' mentioned in the post below), I could only approach it much like Maximillian approached the Coliseum in 'Gladiator'.
As I went through the gate I tried to protect my masculine ego and pretend as though I knew this place like I do my own house. I had no idea where to go. Taking a fortunate wrong turn, all I could see was green! (how lost can you get in an oval - head for the centre!)

Never having been to a sporting event of such a global nature (England v Australia for the American readers), I couldn't believe that no more than 100m in front of me was the Test match taking place. It really drew me in - I felt as though I was part of it.
Having been given a hand drawn map of what the members ticket allowed me to do, I trotted around the Oval - taking in the game from 180 degrees (angle, not temperature).
It was a great time to go, seeing the 8th and 9th wickets taken by Australia in the second innings of the Test. I left the Oval at 9/119, and in only 15 more minutes England fell for 129. Spectacular. What was even greater was the unbelievable comeback by the Australian side (for a far more accurate and 'sporty' commentary, see Yahoo Sport or the blog of our sport-minded cousin Kerran (who also has an interesting article on Osteitis Pubis if you're interested).
Below is a great photo I took on my mobile phone to illustrate just how close the pitch is. Just to the left, out of the photo, is Adelaide's Cathedral which is a fairly dominant element to the Oval's skyline.

2 comments:
I think you meant "Maximus" not "Maximillian" ... how do I know? Not just familiarity and admiration for the movie with Russell Crowe in it - but also the couple of kids I've encountered about the place named, regrettably, "Maximus" - no doubt inspired by the former...
Yes, true! I have a friend from uni whose name is Maximillian and I think I got it confused. We also went and saw 'A Good Year' a few weeks ago, also with Mr Crowe in the lead role, and his name was Maximillian (Maxy for short). Jordan.
Post a Comment