Saturday, February 24, 2007

Australia Day

I've never understood patriotism. It just never made sense to me. I'm not very connected to our flag, I don't know the second verse of our national anthem, and struggle to recall the first verse at the best of times. I don't watch AFL, I'm not a regular beer drinker, and I don't care where the 'bloody' heck you are. A country just seems to be chunks of land with man made borders pulled together by weak ideological similarities. But I'll tell you one thing - I would not, under any circumstance, be prepared to give up my public holiday to celebrate this fine country that we have.

(Note from Ellie. I was not patriotic until I travelled. I saw some of the most beautiful things on earth and yet all I longed for was our sunburnt country. I'll travel anyday, but this is the place I wanna live. Call it patriotic if you will, I just reckon we're onto something pretty bloody good...)

And Ellie and I celebrated in fine style. We did the 'Australian' thing. Firstly, we went down to Glenelg and took a leisurely stroll along the beach. Afterward, we collected a few goodies and went back down to Somerton Park area for a barbie (Ken was not to be seen).

The view was great, the sunset beautiful, and the wind quite defeating when using a gas barbeque. But in the end all was not lost. We enjoyed a snags with some of Nanna Scholz's yummy home made sauce while sitting on the great outdoor chairs given to us by lovely Nanna Lambert.


1 comment:

Annie Lambert said...

YAY.... great to see some good blogging happening.....not sure whether I responded correctly below to you Ellie or Jordan re your feat of conquering Granite Island.See you in just over 5 weeks.