Saturday, February 03, 2007

Jordan’s 21st Birthday

Hold on to your britches, this may be a long one!

On the morning of December 30 I awoke eager as a puppy. Ellie had been taunting me with the temptation that my birthday gift had been hidden in the garage for the last three weeks. I was sure it was a pony and I wanted to call him Charles. At 6:30am my eyes peeled away from each other and I rolled over giving Ellie a gentle nudge hoping to wake her up without her suspecting I did it deliberately. Knowing I wanted to meet Charles, she went to the garage and brought in a rather large box.

“A miniature pony”, I thought.

As I tore away the nicely wrapped box, I discovered it was not a Pony, but something even cooler – a globe! Ellie had twigged to my eventual plans for world domination, and decided this would be a nice introduction to the profession. The globe is great – it swivels in both direction (horizontally and vertically), and has all the correct borders (my globe back on the Gold Coast still has the Gold Coast in Africa, the USSR, and no Israel).



Sharing the morning with Anisia and Mum, we enjoyed breakfast before Ellie revealed her plans for the day: the Adelaide Hills. After filling Esther with petrol, we headed East. As we ascended the Princes Highway, Ellie handed me a pad of puns/riddles, each to be read in sequence. This is the journey I will take you on!

Puzzle 1: Beer’s the key here. Beer and a dolphins fin. Without the hard sel.
Answer: Beer (Hahn) + dorf (Dorsal) = Beerenberg (beer the key).

Accordingly, we pulled in to Hahndorf and stopped by the Beerenberg Jam Strawberry Patch!


Puzzle 2: This place will leave you bleating with a cheesy grin
Answer: Udder Delights cheese tastings in Hahndorf

We checked out this new place in Hahndorf which sells premium local and international cheeses. They also have a funky cellar that has been converted to a classy tasting room. Very cool


Puzzle 3:
Poppa times ten to the power of six
Answer: Max (Ellie’s poppa) + one million = Maximillion Winery and Restaurant

Unfortunately, Maximillian’s was closed for the New Year break. However, we were still able to see the gardens and spotted this Emu! Below is another scenic picture of Ellie with the Adelaide Hills behind.






It was at about this point in the trip where I saw a Nepenthe Wines sign and offered a suggestion that seeing how we were ahead of time due to Maximillion's closure, that we could possibly stop off and have a glass or four. So we did! We ended up buying a glass to enjoy while overlooking this view! How fantastic. Very relaxing, and it seems as though Nepenthe Wines do the trick if ever Ellie needs assistance to go a bit silly (unlikely).



Puzzle 4: Company. Company. With a latte.
Answer: Cocolat - Chocolate restaurant

This is a fantastic little chocolate restaurant based in the hills with another subsidiary restaurant in East End Rundle Street. It is very classy with some yummy desserts sure to send your arteries screaming for exercise.





Puzzle 5: Your Renmark bun in a wee little house
Answer: Chelsea Bun (What I always buy at the Renmark bakery) + House = Kelsey Cottage



For lunch, Ellie had planned to take me here, however, yet again, they were a holiday casualty. So instead we drove back into the Woodside city centre and had lunchies at a beautiful little café and had yummy yummy gourmet pizzas!


Puzzle 6: Ear part + Hamish’s fiancée + the sister-in-laws letters
Answer: Lobe + Beth + AL (Anisia Lambert) = Lobethal

Here Ellie induldged my love of bakery food for lunch dessert, a meal we strongly believe exists between lunch and aftertoon tea. Unfortunately, the bakery was just closing for the day, but we had the good fortune of sneaking inside and ogling at the food.


Puzzle 7: Enormous Unstable Equine
Answer: The GIANT rocking horse in Gumeracha!!

Yes, it is indeed every small boys’ dream. A giant rocking horse! We didn’t indulge our desire to climb the giant horse, however, we did have a look in the big toy shop at its base. Everything smelt like fresh pine wood (I wonder why?), and all the toys seemed so well crafted. As they say, ‘they don’t make ‘em like that anymore!’.


And so that was our trip through this hills! What an experience. We certainly feel as though we’ve seen a lot out that way now. Below you’ll see a map of our drive. A decent one indeed.


When we returned home, it didn’t stop. We met back up with Mum and Anisia (who both had kindly cleaned our house for us and then indulged themselves with a movie at Marion). We all showered and fancied up before heading out to a ‘mystery location’ which turned out to be a wonderful Indian Restaurant in East End Rundle. Yum Yum!



At dinner, I must say, Ellie revealed another little secret of hers. That morning I was feeling somewhat upset that I only had three cards for my birthday – one from Ellie, and two others. I got over it pretty quick, knowing that our friends and family had spoiled both Ellie and I quite enough that year. However, at dinner, Ellie handed me a BIG container full of wonderful notes from many beautiful people. I have to be honest and say I still haven’t read all of them as it makes me miss everyone too much. My logic figures that if I don’t read them, then you’re all not too far away. However, out of respect and thanks for those who wrote, I plan on sitting down and reading them all this week. So in advance, thank you. The mere act of having them there was very special and made it feel as though you were all a part of my 21st.

After dinner we ventured across the road to the aforementioned Cocolat in East End and enjoyed some yummy heart-stopping gelato! Delicious! Thanks, Mum!



And so the day ended with us going home, dropping the ‘kids’ off, and Ellie and I enjoying a quiet stroll along Glenelg with the sun setting over the ocean. And as the sky was filled with pinks, purples, blues and reds, I was reminded of God’s creation and his overwhelming creativity. Such colors and brilliance swirled across an infinite canvas. But the beauty of the heavens didn’t seem to match that of Ellie’s, for whom I am so grateful for organizing such a wonderful celebration. Thank you, princess.

And so the day ended.

But just as you thought this post was over, with all the appropriate conclusions needed, there is more.

The next day, the 31st December, we planned to shoot off to Berri for New Years Eve celebrations with the Scholz’s and Lambert’s and Moss’ and whoever else showed up at Nanna Lambert's. Ellie had suggested we stop into Nanna Scholz’s to drop off our luggage before venturing 10 minutes up the road to the Berri hotel where I was told we had planned to have a family lunch. As we arrived, much to my surprise, little Ellie and her gorgeous Nanna Scholz had organized a surprise birthday party for me in the Riverland. How gracious and loving of them all. It was such a blessing to have Ellie’s grandparents, Uncle Rex and Auntry Eileen, Rikki, Kristin, Simeon, Joshua, and Barry and Katrina all there. It really affirmed for Ellie and I our move to South Australia with such a sense of ‘family’ with relatives of Ellie’s that neither of us have ever spent a significant amount of time with in our adult lives. They are all so beautiful and warm and have welcomed us both into their lives with outstretched arms. So we thank Poppa Scholz for cooking the BBQ in the hot sun, Nanna Scholz for preparing all the yummy food, and the others for making us feel so loved. What a glorious afternoon.


And I will end on that. I will end reaffirming how special it was to spend the day with the Lambert/Scholz tribe. I will always treasure having enjoyed an extension of my 21st with those who we love. It was certainly easy for us to see where Kevin and Anne (Ellie’s parents) learned their incredible gift of hospitality. They seem to be a family to all – always having an open door and a plate full of food for me. 21 years seems a long time, but I know I am only where I am having had the support and love that has been given so freely. Thank you.

No comments: