In about October 2008 we decided it was time to leave Prague. However, we wanted to stick it out a little longer for a few reasons, but namely because Mum and Dad were visiting for Christmas. So we figured there was no better surprise than springing our departure on them on Christmas Eve. Dad's first comment was, 'We have to fit all of your stuff in the car?' (haha!)...admittedly, traveling through Europe would have been more comfortable had we given them the heads up, but they were both so thrilled to hear we were moving home and even more excited that by 'home' we meant Queensland.
A lot of people have asked us why we left Prague, but there's really no one answer. We missed home, we missed family, we had friends we wanted to be close to, friends having babies, babies growing up, we were living in separate countries and I'd gained all I wanted to from my course. If you jumble all of those up into one messy excuse, that's our reason. It was a tough decision to make but once we had made it we not only felt at peace but I really began to enjoy Prague for what it was, with the knowledge that our time was coming to an end there.
So that's the Prague story.
Now we're home (and loving it!). At present we're living with my parents while we negotiate the price on a certain house we've had our eye on! Jordan is hoping for a promotion within nab at the same time as a relocation to a Queensland office. He will do brilliantly, I know it.
And I am....I'm...I want to be a....I really don't know what I'm doing. I have a plan: to become a graphic designer...but it seems so discordant to what I've been doing that I almost feel self-conscious about it. It is, after all, my fourth career change (youth worker, director, filmmaker, graphic designer). Really, I think I'm self-conscious about other people thinking I'm all over the place, but I'm actually really happy trying new things and absolutely certain that there's a plan for me and my eccentric knowledge.
I'm excited about a career where I get to be creative, where there are jobs and pay and where I might be able to freelance once I have children. I had reached the point where earning next to nothing as a married person was simply driving me bonkers, so the decision had to be made. That being said, this is just a career choice, not a life choice...I will be very stoked if I can manage to be a graphic designer by day and a writer/theatre director/Mum by night.
And no, I'm not pregnant!
So, I'm enrolled in a Master of Art in Visual Art at the Queensland College of Art and keen as mustard to get started. QCA is very hands on and I hope to have a brilliant portfolio on completion of my course. As a preview, these are some of the images I created for my portfolio to be submitted into the Masters (quite stoked as they usually only accept candidates with a design bachelor):

Jars of Clay album re-design (click for larger image, as with images below).
Where Bentley Went storyboard excerpts.

Waiting for Godot poster that I know Brisbane Powerhouse would use if they'd seen it. And they were doing a production of Waiting for Godot...directed by Peter Brook...okay, so it's a mock.
The adventure begins. Thanks for staying tuned, my dwindling band of followers.
P.S. I know, have to get onto changing the banner....soon, my pretties!

2 comments:
Nice samples, Ellie.
And more importantly..woah! big change! Sounds like the right one though. You're so talented, I know you'll do well in graphic design.
You've also increased my desire to visit Australia sometime. By June I'll have 2 whole weeks of vacation timed saved up! I think it's time.
$1400 flights, Libby! Snap 'em up!!! Hopefully by then we'll have a house of our own. We'd LOVE to have you Down Under!!!!!!!!!!! I have uni holidays from the 29th of June to the 25th of July (nuts, I know!).
Post a Comment