Friday, April 21, 2006

In South Australia I was born...


The Barossa Valley, South Australia.


'In South Australia I was born,
Heave away, Haul away
From South Australia I'll ne'er rome
And we're bound for South Australia'

Australian Folk Song

Ahh yes, we have returned to the Motherland. The Mecca for Lutherans across Australia...South Australia.
This Easter we headed south, taking our hostages (friend, Nishan and Jordan) with us. We were greeted at the new Adelaide airport by refreshing winds, a beautiful change to muggy Queensland. Jordan sat in our rental Tarago mesmerised by the beautiful colonial stone houses and Nishan snapped photo after photo of wineries and vineyards. I sat in the middle seat (because I get carsick) and just soaked it all in again...the paved sidewalks, ghost gums and rolling hills. It was so nice to be home. (NB: I consider Queensland my home because my family is here, but I feel more in touch with the country side in South Australia...it's so familiar. Its bushes shielded me from the cars as I played by the road in my childhood, clovers made a bed for me when I slept in the garden, sour sobs (fluro yellow flowers) were our War Heads and there was so much fruit around that one need never go home for lunch...)
Anyway, the purpose of our Easter trip had many purposes. First and foremost, we had a huge party to put on...for Jesus! Wohooo....our God is not dead! He did not rot beneath the earth, but came back so that we wouldn't have to either. Cool. 'I have come so that you might have life, and have it more abundantly'. (John 10:10) So, in light of that, we celebrated ABUNDANTLY...the birth of Simeon Luke, the union of Jordan and I (yes, another engagement party!) and God giving me 21 years of health and life (yup, another 21st too!). We had lots more to be thankful for too:
* Rikki's new job with the family first party (see www.rikkiandkristin.blogspot.com) and their impending move to Adelaide
* Anisia's job with the Royal Brisbane Hospital
* Cheyne and Mel's wedding in October
* Mum and Dad's 30th wedding anniversary
* A safe return from overseas for Anisia, Jordan and I
And that is just in our immediate family! So, to celebrate with all, dear Nanna Lambert organised a massive party at her house in Berri with about 40 close family and friends. It was just like old times, only there were fewer kids present? :) We've all grown up! Thank you so much Nanna. We had such a wonderful celebration. Thank you to everyone who made food too, (Nanna Lambert for your yummy fruit salad...oh how I love it!...and to Nanna scholz for our favourite 'special occasion cake', Mississippi Mud Cake!)
As I said at the party, I have now lived in both states for an equal length of time; 10 years and a few weeks (with one year in America). When I was little I said I never wanted to live in Queensland longer than South Australia, but I think that's happened now, just. God has done wonderful things for us here...I've been so blessed with great education, a wonderful church family and close friends. I remember at the time, with my little grade 5 mind, thinking 'Oh yay! The land of theme parks and THE BEACH!' which is what it was to me...a big fat exciting move, but to Mum and Dad it was a big decision, to pack up their kids and move 2,000kms across the country, 24 hours' drive from any relatives. I know that it wasn't your idea...I think Someone Higher put that idea in your head. Thanks for obeying :)
Well, that's all for now, I'll ramble about how much I love the Riverland and SA and, to be balanced, by how cool it is to be nestled between the Hinterland and the beach in QLD...
Love you all!
Ellie

P.S. For more on S.A go to Mum's blog annie-el.blogspot.com. I stopped snapping pics because I knew Mum was, so there are more photos there.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You, the countryside, the ring, you and Jordan .. I love it when you post pictures! That smile of yours is contagious!

Ellie dear, do you have a Myspace account? I've been obsessed with all things blog lately. I have a lot of freetime at work.

I miss you. I wish I could come visit. And meet your family - they look so nice! - and Jordan. You too look so happy in your pictures. :D

Anonymous said...

Couldn't help but giggle to myself when reading this, as I reflect on all the conversations we had about never wanting to live in QLD longer than SA (for you), and Sydney (for me). But alas it has happened, you can now join me! I've had some time to get used to it (8 years there, 13 here). Spose it's not all bad tho, otherwise wouldn't still be here! Having said that, just got back from Sydney and wish I was still there? Ahh I'm never satisfied... Glad you had a great trip. Xoxo.